David Stewart OBE
I have fifty years’ experience of working with children and young people with severe learning disabilities. I have been a Governor of various Nottingham Schools for forty years and the director of the Nottingham Youth Theatre Inclusive Group for 30 years. I have been involved in the closure of one school in the City as Chair, supporting the local authority with its reorganisation of provision.
My current responsibilities in the world of education working with local authority schools, academy and private education has given me a wide experience with a wide range of partners to ensure quality education for children. My work in SEND gives me a broad insight into the needs of pupils with special needs both in mainstream and special schools. I am experienced in both supporting organisations and holding them to account. I am well acquainted with the particular needs of our community. Working with both our local universities I work to ensure that future generations of staff have the skills to work with pupils with learning disabilities.
Other relevant experience includes:
- Head Teacher at Oak Field School, Nottingham for 27 years. 6 Outstanding OFSTED inspections
- Deputy Lieutenant of Nottinghamshire
- Honorary Doctor of the University of Nottingham
- Honorary lecturer for the Schools of Education and Educational Psychology – University of Nottingham
- Governor Nottingham Girls High School
- Vice Chair of Governors Bluecoat Beechdale School and SEND Governor
- Vice Chair of Nottingham Education Trust
- Trustee of Nottingham Education Study Trust
- Chair of Fundays in Nottinghamshire
- Chair of Friends of Oak Field
- Trustee of Mighty Creatives
- Member of Nottingham Playhouse wider board